Spring Vegetable Penne with Lemon-Cream Sauce
Prep Time 20 min
Cook Time 7 ½ min
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) uncooked dried penne pasta
- 1 pound asparagus, diagonally cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped sweet onion (like Vidalia or Walla Walla)
- 1 (4-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup Meadow Gold half & half
- ¾ cup frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Cook pasta according to package directions omitting salt; add asparagus during last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and thyme; continue cooking 1 minute. Sprinkle mushroom mixture with flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Stir in chicken broth and half & half; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Stir in peas, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, lemon peel and lemon juice; continue cooking 1 minute or until peas are heated through.
- Add pasta and asparagus to skillet with mushroom mixture; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.